VHS tape screening- Valley Girl- January 11, 2012



I know there are people in the world who have issues with Nicolas Cage. I will admit, in many of his roles he has a somewhat grating acting style. But I think Valley Girl predates this development, back when Cage was still resembling something akin to a young Keanu Reeves.... It's hard to see, but the poster image says, "Introducing Nicolas Cage"

I've only seen this once, when I was dating the woman who took my virginity, which is the primary reason why I don't remember it very well. She and I would always start to watch movies with the firm intention of finishing them, but somewhere in the middle we would begin to fool around, so most movies did not receive our full attention. (Actually, we never sat through an entire movie without having sex, much to my annoyance.) This was the case with Valley Girl. I distinctly remember liking what I saw of it, probably because of the amazing 80s New Wave soundtrack. But I can't really say what happens.

A few years after we broke up, I went to brunch with the woman who took my virginity. Then we went to a bookstore up on Port Richmond. Then I walked her home. She said was going to donate her VCR to Circle Thrift because she only had two tapes, one of which was Valley Girl. She gave it to me. The other was some movie she borrowed from her mom. So this Wednesday we will watch the same VHS copy of Valley Girl that was on in the background while she and I made sweet awkward love (not for the first time, but during one of the first few times).

During the screening nobody is allowed for fool around with me because I want to see what happens.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaRznRmCqc

No comments:

Post a Comment